- 1 kg or 2 pounds of lean ground beef. You can use ground chicken or turkey instead.
- 3 onions, chopped fine
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes (28 oz)
- 5 large carrots, cut in cubes (cut up smaller if you need to hide the vegetables from your kids)
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 1/2 cup beef broth (You can use chicken or vegetable broth instead - especially with ground chicken)
- 1 small can of tomato paste (approx 5.5 oz)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup mild paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper - more if you like spicy
- 1 can of red kidney beans (approx 19 oz)
- Grated cheddar cheese to top (optional)
Step 1: Put the ground beef and onions in
a skillet. Brown the ground beef over
medium heat and drain any fat.
Step 2: Add in the garlic, carrots, celery, tomatoes and beef broth. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are softer. Add in the rest of the ingredients, except for the kidney beans.
Step 3: Cook over low heat for an hour.
(If you are in a rush, you can cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.) You can also put it in a slow cooker at this point and leave it cook on low for hours.
Step 4: Add in the kidney beans for the last 10 minutes. Serve the chili in a bread bowl, over rice or pasta, or just on its own.
Leftovers can be reheated and put in a thermos for great school or work lunches.