Natural Nutritional Makeover
More Tips for giving your recipes a natural nutrition makeover
- Organic/free- range turkey/chicken are leaner because they are exercised more.
- Wash and scrub all fruits and veggies with a natural soap and a veggie brush, especially if not organic.
- When baking, replace half or all of the fat in your recipes with puréed fruit like applesauce or mashed bananas.
- Add more fibre to your recipes by using whole grains and adding ground flaxseed / hemp to your cookies, muffins and breads.
- Use 25% less of the fat, salt or sugar required in your original recipe.
- Substitute cream with 1% milk, almond, soy or even tofu in your recipes.
- Add garlic, onions and herbs and less oil to enhance the flavour to your cooking, especially fresh coriander at the end.
- Eat healthy dips like hummus, white bean or black been dips instead of processed or fattening ones.
- Substitute artificial candy with dried fruit and real liquorice from your local health store or bulk barn.
- Purchase nuts (if no allergies) plain or in their shell. Shelled nuts are fun to crack open, and have less unrefined oils and salt.
- Eat healthier toppings like salsas or other fruit sauces.
- Store foods in glass containers - not plastic wrap. This is healthier & better for the environment.
*Information provided by Mary Robertson, RHN, RNCP,
Specializing in Natural Nutrition for all stages of Life